Tuesday, August 23, 2011

GEMS

I managed to find myself surrounded by a room full of talented filmmakers last night when Alexandra Roxo organized a Women in Film career night at G.E.M.S., Girls Educational and Mentoring Services, a much needed organization for girls in NYC who, through different circumstances, found themselves caught in the brutal commercial sex trafficking game. There turned out to be more speakers than girls there, but hopefully our messages of 'You can realllly do this too if you want' came through to those girls that might be interested.  Each of us were able to briefly tell our stories and what it is we do. I found myself really wanting to make them FEEL that this is hard, but possible. No one in your family has to have done anything in film before, you don't have to go to film school. You just have to have the desire and the perseverance to keep working towards it, to keep asking questions, wondering and paying attention. And I'm sure most of these girls have had to overcome more difficult tasks already.

I must say it was fun and inspiring for me to sit and listen to my colleagues. The vibe was warm and encouraging and the interests were varied. Afterwards, there was dinner and a bubble blowing contest (amongst some of the filmmakers, not the girls mind you). All in all it was an excellent night.

A run down of the wonderul women there so maybe you masses of people following me can also be inspired:

Deborah Kampmeier
Lisa Myers
Alicia Van Couvering
Danielle Lurie
Jade Healy
Jen Ruff
Nicole Emanuelle and Devyn Waitt
Daniela Capistrano
Risa and Christina
Leah Meyerhoff


No comments:

Post a Comment